Sunday, February 27, 2005

The Crossing Guard

As a rule I give right of way to the pedestrian. This has made me see something. When it’s a couple about to cross the road. I stop. Let them cross even though the male has made no move to cross. The woman is happy, smiling, the man looks fucking pissed. I even get the occasional mouthed thank you from the woman. The man is surly, disgruntled. Every time. Every fucking time. Why ? Have I hurt his ego ? Like fuck man, I could be running over you.. Won’t hurt to show your gratitude fucking scum. Learn something from the women who walk by your side.

4 comments:

Murphy said...

Women are not nicer if that's the implication.

reeferjournal said...

Maybe not nicer but they smile a whole lot more. :)

JP said...

Perhaps only at rosey-cheeked young Khandiges.

Murphy said...

Though that's a very sweet thing to do. If anyone does that for me, and believe me in Delhi it's a very big thing, I do a very theatrical round of thank-yous with a lot of bowing and flailing of arms. My happiness makes me an easier target to get run over by impatient motorists.