Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Frogs, Buckets, Crowbars and Oblivion

Colonel Les Claypool’s Fearless Flying Frog Brigade - Purple Onion

Wow.

Wow. Wow. Wow.

This album made me feel incredibly happy. It made me smile. Made my jaw hit the floor a number of times too. Les Claypool. Wow. The album is incredibly good fun.

Cosmic Highway. What a song.

A rich haul of music from the trollkien and it’s getting richer. I’ve been listening to more music in the last 3 days than I have in the last month. Thank you Ravi.

After listening to Colonel Les Claypool’s Fearless Flying Frog Brigade I just had to check out the live album.
It seemed like they covered a whole bunch of songs by Pink Floyd and then jammed for a long time. Les Claypool is talking to the audience. It was probably a great show to be at but it’s boring me. They covered Shine On You Crazy Diamond. A song I like. How is it ? Starts well. Except for the idiots in the crowds shouting. This is building up nicely but I loose interest and turn it off. So much for that.

Viggo Mortenson and Buckethead – Pandemonium In America

I’m not sure who is doing what here. Mortenson narrates, moans, sings and Buckethead does the music. I guess. There’s also a weird baby voice on Half Fling. This is very trippy in a dark disconnected sort of way. Mortenson’s narrative style is cold. Deadpan. Buckethead is building soundscapes in the background and occasionally coming to the fore. Generally an understated performance from him. Weird music. Weird art I guess. Also strangely appealing. I like this.

Crowbar – Sonic Excess In Its Purest Form

Crowbar is an ugly band. They make ugly music that captivates me. Harsh, disturbing and difficult to listen to and yet I can’t bring myself to change it. I sit and listen to Crowbar and usually by the time the album is over I don’t know if I’m coming or going. This one doesn’t seem to be any different. Better than Equilibrium. The middle of the album is where all the best songs are with Repulsive In It’s Splendid Beauty standing miles ahead. Awesome song. In Times Of Sorrow is a soft mournful instrumental that might owe something to Planet Caravan. It Pours From Me is another kickass song. Bloody great album.

Agents Of Oblivion - Agents Of Oblivion

A spin off from Acid Bath with the vocalist and guitarist. This is melancholy hard rock and Dax Riggs sounds great. Very nice album.

1 comment:

magal53 said...

Ok, I agree too. Good Luck for you.